Monday, August 29, 2011

I Am Being Sabotaged By Technology Again


So, I was just running with my Garmin. This is a device that you can wear on your wrist which allows you to practice being a control freak while exercising, with greater ease. It tracks pace, distance, heart rate, elevation and a bunch of stuff I don't actually understand and allows you to compare all this to  what you wish you could do. It is what I'm using instead of running buddies. Since I am no longer willing to get up at 5 am and run with other people, this will have to do.

However, today, it couldn't find a satellite signal and, instead of tracking my mileage etc., for fifteen minutes or so, it showed me an irritating loading bar which would creep sluggishly to the end, get full and then start over again, repeatedly, which was like watching slugs climb up a steep slimy slope and fall down again multiple times,and this made me want to kill someone.

So I didn't get credit with myself for about a mile of my run. Which is like doing something really unselfish for someone you hate and not getting to tell everyone about it.

So, since I quite naturally don't have the receipt or a warranty and this $150 device has done this to me three or four times now, I will have to decide how to exact my vengeance on the Garmin making corporation. I am looking for suggestions on this. Any takers?

4 comments:

  1. yep..6am running buddies don't let you down ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. posted by Shana, but I don't have a google account or any other of those profiles, but it will allow me to post under anonymous, go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true, Shana. You would never refuse to give me credit for my running and you are a WAY better conversationalist as well. That said, I don't think I could ask you to repeatedly measure my heart rate without straining our friendship. Monica says I can get it to upgrade software (or something) and then it might stop. That is good because I think Mike will be put out if I flush it down the toilet, after he bought it for ma and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't find a loading bar animation that was half as annoying as the actual experience. This one is much too fast and productive. What I need is a visual that makes you want to scream and attack someone.

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, it keeps fairies alive.

Don't forget to choose "subscribe by email" to receive follow-up comments. I almost always reply to comments, and you wouldn't want to miss that. It's all part of saving the fairies.

My Zimbio
Creative Commons License
Faith in Ambiguity by Tara Adams is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License