Friday, February 3, 2012

Gentle Fatty Asses

My family is different.

I have discussed this at length in the past with you, so I won't belabor it again, but suffice it to say that an unusual number of  items such as Student Assistance Team meetings, urgent parent-teacher conferences, addendum IEPs, and therapy appointments are blocked out on our family's Google Calendar. The problems seem largely to come down to an inability either to pay proper attention, to exercise proper impulse control or to render spoken language into usable operating instructions within a reasonable period of time.

The latest approach taken to this has involved the use of Omega-3s. The psychiatrist treating a child of mine, who shall remain nameless, said that studies now show that the use of Omega-3s can be effective in treating mild ADHD. In any case, Omega-3s are da bomb. They are good for joints, organs, blood circulation and may help ward off cancer and alien abduction. So, it's not like it's going to hurt him to take 1000 mg of organic flax seed oil a day. Anyway, before considering prescription medication, we are giving him these Omega-3 miracle pills.

Which is interesting, because now my dog is taking them, too. Because even our pets are special.


Besides being sort of inherently "different" due to looking like a black Lab with dwarfism and ears like a donkey, my dog Xavier also has special health needs. He suffers from a problem with his kidneys and requires a special, extremely expensive diet to treat this condition. Xavier also, it turns out, requires, one teaspoon per day of costly Omega-3 supplementation on his exorbitant dog comestible, to deal with joint pain and general health. Cost-wise, I may as well be serving him chopped frankincense with a frosting of cocaine.

When a year or so ago we first had to supplement the dog with "essential fatty acids," to combat nose and paw dryness, my then kindergartner erroneously referred to them as "a gentle fatty asses".

The name stuck.

So, at this point, setting aside the ghastly and appalling number of prescription medications and supplements I take daily to manage my fibromyalgia, migraines and Hashimoto's disease, the special diet the cat is now on  to deal with the unexplained presence of blood in his urine, and the treatments taken for asthma and allergies suffered by all human members of my family, I find myself thoroughly amused that I have both a dog and a child who require the daily nourishment of "gentle fatty asses."

And now this: The other day, when I went back to the school I where I work to collect my son from his first grade classroom, his teacher pulled me aside and explained with dismay that he had spent most of the day making animal noises and playing strange, silent games with pencils on the floor of the classroom.

So, I did what any good parent would do. I went home, cried, drank coffee, and then ran out and bought a bottle of gummy Omega-3s.

Everything is going to be just fine.


1 comment:

  1. We could all use some gentle fatty asses, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, it keeps fairies alive.

Don't forget to choose "subscribe by email" to receive follow-up comments. I almost always reply to comments, and you wouldn't want to miss that. It's all part of saving the fairies.

My Zimbio
Creative Commons License
Faith in Ambiguity by Tara Adams is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License